Coast to Coast USA - Nev & Jo 2010

BB63

SV, DRZ & now DL Rider
we crossed the border into Colorado. It was flat too.
I certainly hope you at least thought to yourself "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." :bt
Thanks for sharing what seems like a wonderful journey. :clap:
Glad to hear that the misshap wasnt too dramatic and that it all turned out well in the end.
What are your thoughts on the GS500F? a very underated bike I believe.
Cheers Brian

nev

Super Térrarist
Thanks so much for taking the time to write it up, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your travels.

:clap:

Almost every ride i've ever been on has been influenced or insired in some way by reading about other people's rides. It's my absolute pleasure to share my experiences and inspire others. In fact the whole idea of riding from NY to LA was first seeded in my mind a few years ago after reading a book called "It's All Good" by Andrew Daddo of all people, which was a recount of his experiences riding NY to LA.

nev

Super Térrarist
What are your thoughts on the GS500F? a very underated bike I believe.

I'd be lying if I said that slicing and dicing 50km of LA freeway on the little Suzi two up wasn't heaps of fun. That was my only ride on the bike. I'm sure Jo has a more sedate version of her experiences :)

nev

Super Térrarist
............:so

bit curious about the Kenworth incident???????

The truck stopped behind a bus that was turning right into a side road. Jo saw an opportunity to overtake the truck. Unfortunately he started to turn left into a driveway and we think that her right pannier clipped the front corner of the truck as she was trying to dodge him sending the bike into a spin. Fortunately for Jo where she was headed for was across a gravel driveway onto a lovely green grassy verge and the photo in this report was taken by her with the camera that was around her neck only a few seconds after she regained her wits while she was sitting where she ended up.

nev

Super Térrarist
Looks like it's more trouble dealing with the AUS travel insurers than dealing with a pretzler in a foreign country.

Nope, no trouble at all so far. All we've done is lodge a quote on the insurers website.

Only one question remains though....what happened to the little GS500??:whistle:

Did that stay in LA as a "deposit" for the next US-trip? :so

Unfortunately for that little bike, a happy ending it is not. Because of the small size of the individual states, and the relative transparency between their borders, when you buy a vehicle you don't pay rego and you don't pay tax. You get a temporary plate (30 day permit in our case) which gives you 30 days to get home, take it to your local RTA and get it registered and pay the sales tax in your home state.

So we left Arkansas with the bike on a 30 day permit and didn't think much about the future. By the time we got to Arizona I started making some enquiries and I discovered that due to the strict emissions rules in California, California residents can get second hand vehicles registered, but any new vehicles must comply with Cali emissions rules. Unfortunately for us, although the Suzuki was 5 years old, it had only 2400 miles on the clock when we bought it, and fewer than 5000 miles when we got to LA. The definition of what constitutes a new or 2nd hand vehicle for those purposes in California is 7500 miles. A vehicle with 7501 miles is "second hand". A vehicle with 7499 miles is "new".

We tried to sell it to a bike shop in Las Vegas. They were willing to buy it from us, at the price they set, but there was an issue with the paperwork. The dealer we bought it from hadn't correctly signed the title over to us, even though we had sufficient suplementary paperwork to prove legal ownership. That was going to take a working day to sort out between the dealer in Vegas, the dealer in Arkansas and the DoT. It was late on Friday afternoon at that stage, and Monday was a public holiday and we had to leave Vegas on Monday morning in any case.

That left us with two options. Park the bike in LA and just walk away from it, or plan B... whatever that was. I made a few phone calls and Plan B turned out to be trading the bike to a bike wrecker in South Central LA in return for a bag of beans, or the monopoly monetary equivalent.

Top Bottom