[NSW] River Rd.

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
Not a big tour by any means. Just a morning ride Wendy and I did today on the MuZ.... :D

We went to Wisemans Ferry. "What again?" Yep again! Makes for a good two up ride for a few hours on a warm sunny Sunday morning. But this time we went via River Rd. To get there we travelled up to Sackville and crossed the Hawkesbury River on the Sackville Ferry. On the way to Sackville we caught up with the Vintage Motorcycle Club who was out on a run. They may not have been going fast. But boy did those old bikes look good, sound great and I love the smell of Castrol R from an open exhaust pipe. There were WWII era bikes, old Harley with sidecar and a mix of different road bikes from many years ago. The one leading them was of real interest, it was a Nimbus. They turned off before the ferry. We soon arrived at the ferry. Even the chickens were out in the sun. We sat on the bile and watched 2 chickens wander amongst the waiting cars.

A few kilometres up the road after crossing the ferry we turn off onto River Rd. The road most of the time hugs the Hawkesbury River. Hence it’s name. The views are great. The road is rough and narrow. There are two short gravel sections. Some corners have sand or gravel sprinkled on them. We have had lots of rain this week and there was water run off across the road and some real green moss. Treat this road with some respect and you will enjoy the view and the corners.

Imag2011.jpg

Imag2012.jpg

Imag2019.jpg

Imag2017.jpg

11NOV2007ross007.jpg

11NOV2007ross009.jpg

I would have hated to have worked on the building of this road. Some of it has been cut through sandstone. As i said you need to teat this road with respect. Also always look out for oncomming traffic as the raod is not wide at all.

11NOV2007ross011.jpg

Imag2024.jpg

11NOV2007ross017.jpg

The scenery can change so quickly too. From being hemmed in with rock walls to lovely green forest.

Imag2028small.jpg

11NOV2007ross012.jpg

11NOV2007ross014.jpg

11NOV2007ross013.jpg

11NOV2007ross021.jpg

We stopped at the park down at the ferry at Wiseman’s Ferry for a very late morning tea. Having panniers means we carry most of our food stuffs. Large flask full of hot water. Freezer block to keep the milk cold. We didn’t stay for too long. The mozzies were out in full force eating everyone in sight. A yellow Ducati pulled in near the MuZ. He pointed at me. I pointed at him. It was Colin out for a ride. Good to have a quick chat mate. The MuZ loved Pittown Road with its sweeping smooth corners. But all too soon we were home. Hopefully Wendy and me will be out for our next ride on the 18th this month with some of the NSW BMW club people.

11NOV2007ross023small.jpg

11NOV2007ross025.jpg

Imag2032.jpg

Last edited:
C

Clowndog

Great report mate, that river road looks bloody fantastic, and pretty much right in my backyard. Honestly, until I got my bike a month ago I had no idea there were so many brilliant roads and trails around Sydney.

Just got back from a three day trip myself so adding that road to my list for next weekend :D

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
Great report mate, that river road looks bloody fantastic, and pretty much right in my backyard. Honestly, until I got my bike a month ago I had no idea there were so many brilliant roads and trails around Sydney.

Just got back from a three day trip myself so adding that road to my list for next weekend :D

I was only shown this road in July. But like I said it does need to be treated with respect.

Glad you liked the report. :D

M

Marvin

River rd can be really interesting, especially when you come across hoons going the opposite way on the gravel sections, with that sharp drop off to the water on your left:eek:.

An alternative in the area is head for the Sackville Ferry but just before reaching it, take the left hand turn (West Portland Rd). Some k's down there, is another ferry crossing just before a large bridge. You can't miss the bridge, but the ferry crossing you can.

Once across the Ferry you are on River Rd, turn Left to head for Wisemans and right to head for the Sackville Ferry Rd

An alternative to this ride that avoids the Sackville rd is: from McGraths Hill/Windsor head up the Putty Rd, and turn right at Packer Rd (shortly before the descent to the Colo River), this is a good quality unsealed road for about 16kms. At the end turn left on to West Portland Rd to continue to Lower Portland Ferry and River Rd, and right to Sackville.

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
River rd can be really interesting, especially when you come across hoons going the opposite way on the gravel sections, with that sharp drop off to the water on your left:eek:.

An alternative in the area is head for the Sackville Ferry but just before reaching it, take the left hand turn (West Portland Rd). Some k's down there, is another ferry crossing just before a large bridge. You can't miss the bridge, but the ferry crossing you can.

Once across the Ferry you are on River Rd, turn Left to head for Wisemans and right to head for the Sackville Ferry Rd

An alternative to this ride that avoids the Sackville rd is: from McGraths Hill/Windsor head up the Putty Rd, and turn right at Packer Rd (shortly before the descent to the Colo River), this is a good quality unsealed road for about 16kms. At the end turn left on to West Portland Rd to continue to Lower Portland Ferry and River Rd, and right to Sackville.

If thats the Lower Portland ferry it is closed. The road access is closed off.

FUTURE.

Tour Pro
You do great reports mate, read you on bikeme. Thumbs UP!!
Hi mate. Yes I get around few forums. I seem to spend more time on the net than riding. :(

You might see me on in Feb the 9th. No promises but I am doing lots of study into the FarRide for that date. No promsies yet.

:endu

C

Clowndog

I took that ride along River Road on Sunday Future. Very pleasant.

Any other little gems for me ? :D

Top Bottom