Tassie-Gems#2

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Guess, someone has to start it... and there are way too many good pics to keep hiding them.
There've been quite a few Tas-ride reports lately, so this just might turn out a collection of impressions from those who were there... rather than a blow-by-blow story.

First up....a HUUUUGE thank you to everyone of the Gems-crew. :!: :!: :!:

It was an absolute pleasure riding with this group and it was a dream run nobody could've scripted. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Both on and off the road, it was a sensational week I won't forget for a long time, and overall the best group I've ever ridden with.

It was unbelievable how this thing jelled right from the start....it was just about too good to be true. The first 20km was all it took ....and then got even better as time went on.
The week was WAY too short, it shouldn't have stopped for the next 20 years. :))

Let's ride the dream again one of those days....
(still stumped)
Pete

001.jpg

The bit between between the teeth :wink:

Looks sort of sedate, doesn't it?
Well...just try to stay with "carver" then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

002.jpg

Climbing the "Neck"...Bruny Island

008.jpg

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
I've only got one thing to say...................

BAAAAASSSTTTAAAARRRRDDDSSSS :upyrs:

I wanna go baaackkkk Bikiniland sux

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
iffracem said:
I wanna go baaackkkk Bikiniland sux

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:wink: :wink: Snug's a sweet little spot and thanks for the tip re: the pub.
Maaaan, do they pile the plates or what?
Great tucker...and loads of it. :thumbs:
How's the GS850 coming along? Chopped it up into 17 little 50cc scoots yet ? (which seems to be all that gets ridden up there :p :p :p )

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
Haven't started on the GS or the cat rebuild yet, delays with house settlement means I'm paying rent AND mortgage :cry:

Never been so broke, specially after the cost of the move up.

Significant other looks to have reneged on the promise of getting work to help with bills, so I'm currently in a world of fiscal purgatory.

Once the settlement happens................... <sigh>

Oh well, least the thumper is fun to ride.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Stumbled over this one while doing something else.
There were a handfull of pics posted up and that was the sorry extent of one of the best rides we've ever had....5 years ago!!!

Pathetic!!:doh::doh:

The memories kicked in... the digging around for pics yielded a folder with ~600 pics on an old harddrive, untouched for years.

I've cleaned up the thread as good as possible , deleting a few posts of Marty and myself which were just a collection of dead links....and am right in the middle of uploading the pics after a quick sort.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Early May 2007

Despite all the planning and prepping for the monstrous Tornanti-ride later in the year, the itch was simply too big and we snuck in the Tassie-Gems #2 at relatively short notice.

Moike saddled the Beemer, Marty stuck a fresh set of shark-teeth to the silver Strom, Tim strapped the Gobis to the racks.
There was Goodie on the WTF#1...Yours Truly on the just-finished WTF-Mark2 ...and Steve from the BikeAndScooters forum in Berwick punted the FJR through the twisties like a 600 naked.

TimTim from Hobart joined in for a few days as well...which got the whole Tornanti-Crew to spend some miles together, getting used to eachother.

I think we also met Smack for a night at Joe's Garage.

Main target for the week was the South, with a couple of nice north-south "commutes" thrown in to meet our ferry-schedules.

Latte Dave Junior dribbled a good-bye in the South Melbourne Pasta joint before boarding for the overnighter ferry.
Made him the youngest AT-member while at it, too...

TasGem2_007.JPG

Karel (carver...on the right) waiting on Station Pier.
Can't remember the guy on the left, but he came along for the first day (met him right there at the pier)...but we were "going too fast" for him.

TasGem2_001.JPG

Marty

TasGem2_002.JPG

TasGem2_003.JPG

Crispy morning on the Frankford Rd.

TasGem2_005.JPG

YES...no morning without a Milo....God knows where he was hiding that stuff when we went to Europe, living 6 weeks out of ONE suitcase...:bs

TasGem2_006.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Westbury and a few backroads through Quamby Brook got us onto the A5 at Golden Valley for some warm-up twisties up the escarpment to the Great Lakes Lookout.

The first "Big Ride" for the WTF#2

TasGem2_012.JPG

TasGem2_008.JPG

TasGem2_009a.JPG

TimTim and his beloved Capo

TasGem2_011.JPG

Back down the hill for some backroads around Bracknell.

Steve....reckons he should give that tailrace a go on the FJR.

TasGem2_013.JPG

TasGem2_014.JPG

Cutting across to the Eastcoast for Fingal and the Rossarden loop to the coast

TasGem2_021a.JPG

TasGem2_022.JPG

Bicheno is always worth a stop.

TasGem2_015.JPG

TasGem2_016.JPG

TasGem2_017.JPG

TasGem2_018.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Spiky Bridge, just south of Swansea

TasGem2_019.JPG

TasGem2_020.JPG

Maria Island

TasGem2_021.JPG

TasGem2_024.JPG

Further south again...Birchs Bay on the Cygnet Peninsula is a damn pretty spot, and with its own little jetty.

TasGem2_025.JPG

TasGem2_026.JPG

TasGem2_027.JPG

Following the Huon Hwy south to Southport, before the wide dirt road to Lune River and Ida Bay...
just in time for the scheduled departure of the little, old timber railway.
http://idabayrailway.com.au/

TasGem2_029.JPG

TasGem2_030.JPG

TasGem2_031.JPG

...which comes to an ominous end opposite Southport...

TasGem2_032.JPG

Looks like the last load of tourists didn't quite make it...

TasGem2_033.JPG

Top Bottom