Solo trippin' on a Buell Ulysses...WARNING, loads of pics...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
zrex1100 said:
Feast you eyes.
96266868-M.jpg

Porsche....hmmm 356 Speedster?

Z

zrex1100

I believe so, probably a kit car reproduction, but still a beauty.

Z

zrex1100

Yes Pete it uses the U-bolt setup to mount the ball to the handlebar, Ram mounts are exceptionally sturdy for the price. I think you really dont need the Stroboframe jigger for everyday use. I don't even know if they still make it. The standard ram mount would be just fine.

glitch said:
Jeez...what a reply !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nearly as good as the ride report :wink: :lol:
That ram mount is looking better and better to me.
Is it the type with the U-bolt around the handlebar?

Was thinking along the same lines re: camera....since it's exposed quite severly, an older / 2.grade unit would be an acceptable loss in the event of something hitting it (or decking the bike).
That removable jigger you had could also be duplicated by using a slightly modded top-plate off a standard tripod?

It all starts with the ram mount though, let's worry about that one first.

Many thanks for the help and advice (and again: PICS)

M

matt232

zrex1100 said:
my bug infested camera

Do you wait until you can see the whites of thier eyes before you shoot? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, have you managed to catch the last few seconds of a bug while going after some scenery? I'd expect the clean up of the lens would be a bit of a worry.

Anyway ripper of a story, it was that immersive that I'm sad to be home.

Z

zrex1100

matt232 said:
zrex1100 said:
my bug infested camera

Do you wait until you can see the whites of thier eyes before you shoot? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, have you managed to catch the last few seconds of a bug while going after some scenery? I'd expect the clean up of the lens would be a bit of a worry.

Anyway ripper of a story, it was that immersive that I'm sad to be home.

:D A little bug would show up as a blur. A big beautiful butterfly, ot the other hand,,,,,nevermind :D

I admittedly abuse the bike mounted cam. When I clean the face shield on my helmet, I just give a squirt of whatever I have to the lense, and wipe her clean. Not exactly proper equipment etiquette, but it works. The Nikon lense, on the other hand, gets pampered :D

R

roundman58

If you look closely in some of the photos posted, you can make out the odd unfortunate bug as a blur.

F

FZX250

damn good write up. Say what you want about americans, but the landscape is farken spectacular. I hope to go there and ride 1 day.

B

bengo

We're so uptight here on the east coast. Some folks checking in at the airport are a miserable brood. I stood there and watch people bitching, much to my delight . They were bitching about stupid little things. I decided I'd give them something real to bitch about .

The line to pass through security was flowing as fast as an airport security line could be expected to flow, until my bag went through the x-ray machine. All of the sudden, everything stopped. The operator called for a security check because of the two viles of insulin (liquid) in my bag. It took about 2 minutes for the first security detail to show up. I'm standing there smiling . I'm the only one smiling . The people in line were impatient before I stopped the progress. Now, they're ready to take up stones and cast them upon me.

The security detail shows up and asks for back up . They pull me aside and for the next 15 minutes, remove everything from my bag, wiping and testing everything for bomb residue materials. They were particularly pissed to see my laptop in the carry on. It was inside a foam protective cover, which was inside a plastic protective case. One guy is checking my stuf, the other guy is checking my reaction to this event. I'm just smiling . I explained I don't fly much, and didn't know laptops had to be indvidually examined. They finally finish examining all my stuff, and ask me if I need any help putting it back in the bag. I decline their assistance.

By now, I'm one of the last people to arrive at the waiting area to board the plane. The folks on my plane don't seem too chatty . Fine, I'll just wander off into a corner and listen to my iPod. Oh yeah, I was in full riding gear, wearing my Sidi boots and Joe Rocket jacket. The other passengers weren't impressed. Oh well. I'm utterly delighted that I'm not as miserable as some of the fine folks around me.

We finally board the plane. I'm sitting next to the window. A couple, obviously in love, sit nex to me. I stand up and tell the girl next to me, "this jacket has to come off." She doesn't even acknowledge me. Didn't look at me. Didn't say anything. Nothing. I'm thinking to myself this is going to be a long flight. I look out the window. I rummage through my carry on bag at my feet to find my little Kodak. I look out the window. The girl next to me is irritated that I'm doing something. I capture the moment. The mood outside is representative of the mood sitting beside me. Well, not quite that bad

94594172-M.jpg

I find my stress has completey departed. I think it landed squarely on some of the folks around me. I'm wondering to myself if every flight is full of miserable people .Nah! The crew is extremely professional. They smile as they walk by. The guy in front of me decides to recline his seat all the way back into my lap. I act like it doesn't bother me. I feel like throwing him of the plane .

We take off. Within a few minutes, Tom Cruise is playing on the Screen in front of me. Mission Impossible III is the choice entertainment for the day. Halfway into the flight I have to pee. I don't dare get up. People all around me ar getting up to pee. I didn't want to piss anyone off, again . I decide to hold it until Phoenix. I decline the second offering of coffee. Fortunately I didn't have to pee that bad. I enjoy the rest of the movie. It's over and we're just crossing Texas. I grab my camera again. As we descend, I start shooting out the window. There's nothing else to do.

94594178-M.jpg

My first glimpse of Phoenix. It doesn't look so hot out there

94594175-M.jpg

Downtown Phoenix
94594174-M.jpg

The good thing is the plane landed 37 minutes ahead of schedule. Plenty of time to pee before making my way to baggage pick up. The bad thing is, our baggage doesn't come out of the plane until sometime around 10:15. We're all waiting. We all want our luggage. Everyone is nicer now. Several people come up to me and say "Yeah, you're from Dulles, I saw you back in the airport. I'm just making sure I'm in the right luggage terminal." They're surprisingly friendly in Phoenix. People start asking questions. Why are you wearing a jacket in Phoenix? Don't you know it's 108 degrees outside? I look around. Everyone is wearing shorts. I have on heavy Joe Rocket riding jeans, riding boots, and a jacket. It turns out to be a great conversation starter. People seem geniunely interested in what I'm doing.

I talk to a lady who flew out from N. VA for her fathers 75th birthday. She tells me there is no better place on the planet than Oak Creek Canyon . That's wonderful, because I'm riding through there in a few hours.

I check my cell phone for messages. I'm getting an unclear signal. Finally, I call Bill who is picking me up. He asks where I am. I tell him I arrived early, but I'm waiting for my luggage. He says he's in the luggage area too. I turn around, and he's standing right there. Bill says, "You said you have blond hair, I was looking for a long haired hippy. You didn't say anything abolut having a crew cut."

Bill turns out to be a super nice guy. He's very interested in my plans. He's very interested in sharing about his family. He's understanding about having to wait for my luggage. It finally arrives. We head out to his Big Whit Buick SUV with 20 inch rims. I immediately notice how hot it is. In the shade.

We head towards Sun City West. On the way, Bill offers to swing by the Harley Davidson dealer so I can buy a quart of oil for the ride home. I have the chance to talk to the service manager who just performed the 1000 mile service. He assures me the bike is ready for the road trip ahead. He seems curious as to why I would want to ride the Buell across the country. In the parking lot I notice a sight I've never seen before. The bikes parked out front all have towells draped over the seats. It really does get hot in Phoenix .

We head over to Bill's house, conversing the whole way. No ackward moments. Bill is like a long time friend I haven't seen in years. I had a gut feeling when I first spoke with him on the phone that he was the geniune article. We roll through the gates to his community, past the golf course, to his house. The garage door opens, and I laid eyes upon my bike for the first time.

94592308-M.jpg
Your Buell motorcycle is looking good dude... some people wonders why we would want to ride the Buell across the country...

Top Bottom