Banditrider's Pootles

banditrider

Long Timer
Good report there Banditrider. I remember the Old Hill Road. I was intending to take Route 52 north through that area to Napier on our trip in March this year, but my GPS took me over the old hill road. Some really spectacular views and a lovely little detour off the main road.

Yep, definitely going back there one day. Route 52 is a favourite of mine and there's plenty of gravel detours in all directions shooting off it.

You haven't ridden 52 until you've ridden it in the middle of a storm in the middle of the night...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Our next bit of excitement was a certain Triumph coming into difficulties about oh, 15km from Danniverke and the nearest petrol station...Luckily we had a Kawasaki petrol tanker with us and were able to transfer some petrol between bikes. Also luckily, the battery on my camera was not completely flat so I could document the operation...

Hmmmm.....something in that...just something.....

....sounds familiar :whistle:

The good, old KLR to the rescue :clap:

Sounds like an awesome day.
And the weather!!!! :so

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Looking good.
Many "Shoei-Heads" are very happy with the HJC shell shape + sizing.
As for fitting speakers...to make a little more room, peel the liner back to the bare styrofoam and reshape that with a soldering iron, melting it into the exact shape you want without creating lumpy edges or ridges...which often happens when trying to do the same job with a knife/ blade/ Dremel etc.

Mind those fumes, though...only do this in a very well ventilated area.

banditrider

Long Timer
Part One of Sunday's ride: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/brr-tackling-turakina-part-one.html

DSCF1669.JPG

DSCF1671.JPG

DSCF1676.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
....but I can confirm that there was plenty of dust and the RHS foot-peg did a good job of creating a furrow in the road. Luckily Neils gear also did a good job and after some choice words he was up and checking the bike out. The crash bars and bark busters also did their job as the Tiger only required a bit of straightening to the rear brake lever to get it ready to rock again.

Crash bars are good!

DSCF1673.JPG

So are bark busters

DSCF1674.JPG

You Kiwis really don't fart around....over here the Tigers Punters rather push their steeds than thrown 'em down the road...:whistle::whistle::bs
Turakina Valley Road sounds (and looks, on the map) absolutely fabulous!!
Knowing a little stretch of the northern part ....it should be a cracker!!

Mate...you should really post a few more of the afternoon-pics :glu:glu:glu

DSCF1683.JPG

Thanks for the heads up!!

banditrider

Long Timer
Part Two coming soon...

Turakina Road is outstanding! I've now finally done the entire length (and all of the gravel - the short bit missing from my map is all seal) of it. Heading North and staring straight at Ruapehu (still plenty of snow on it) was magic!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Looks absolutely delicious!!

Here's a Gmap for it. Most of it should be accurate.

Top Bottom