Noojee backblocks...and a dollop of Baw Baw

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Another one for the poolroom, hoorayy!! :glu

A breakfast that didn't happen, a Crusty that just quit at the last turnoff (otherwise he'd come home with a load of farm-fresh strawbs!!) :eek:,
getting chased by an MV and CBRthou into Powelltown on the return from BawBaw...

Scrambles-through-the-brambles at Vesper, a little magic at the old Fumina Schoolhouse, grey skies turning into a sparkler, plenty of laughs and a river crossing that got nobody undone, prime twisties to carve and some damn fine views along the way.
What a CRACKER!!
:clap::clap::clap:

Pics coming up...

twowheeler

two wheels are best
I ditched my usual Sunday pedal and was rewarded with one of the more enjoyable days motorcycling I’ve had, and certainly a varied one :clap: .

We all saved money at the start by not buying breakfast and coffee at the meeting place as the café was closed. Lack of caffeine didn’t affect me as much as Glitch, who a minute after setting off sailed straight through a long-time red light at the Warby Trail x-sing :eek: . He didn’t wear anyone, so happy days.

First stop on a back road somewhere in Gladysdale. Parked the GS next to Crusty’s handsome R1100GS so they could have a vater-sohn talk -

From there, I just followed others along bush tracks, I was so lost, until we popped out onto sealed near Nayook.

Then onto Vespers Track, terrific fun, wouldn’t have been game to try it on my own (we all made it over Stevegt738’s tree using various methods and varying degrees of success) -

Arrived at the bustling crossroads of Vesper central. Not a traffic light to be seen, so dangerous -

The Icy Creek Road delivered us to Fumina and another dangerous ill-controlled intersection -

My arborist friend thinks this beautiful tree is a walnut. Lovely spot in the sunshine -

Headed east into the bush below Tanjil Bren. Terrific fun getting low air on small whoop-de-whoops and other irresponsible behaviour, before crossing the Tanjil River -

No photos after that from me. A bit more immature riding along more tracks, then up the sealed to Mt Baw Baw, a nice lunch and company in the sun, then home via sealed to Gladysdale then mixed from there.

Thanks all for a great day out :clap: .

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I ditched my usual Sunday pedal and was rewarded with one of the more enjoyable days motorcycling I’ve had, and certainly a varied one :clap: .

Varied, orrite!!! :bs
What a rollercoaster it turned out, whooppee!! :D:thumbs:

Great day, lots of laughs and never a dull second.
How could there be, with that sort of company around? :chug:

We all saved money at the start by not buying breakfast and coffee at the meeting place as the café was closed.

Shiatt....I gonna be wearing that one for a while :whistle::bs
Guilty as charged!

Glitch, who a minute after setting off sailed straight through a long-time red light at the Warby Trail x-sing :eek: . He didn’t wear anyone, so happy days.

Me?? :doh:

Fumina_01a.JPG

I went home lubed my chain, mowed grass, shifted soil, weeded, used the line trimmer and poisoned things. :thun

Hytram

<-- now went that way
What a top day out, it had a bit of everything..

Thanks to all for a great day, great company and great riding

:clap:

Crustyvarmint

Back road wanderer
I also had a great day out out. Thanks Pete for organising it, and thanks all for the pleasant company. Also to Steve for stirring this up with his excellent ride report.
I had wanted to check out Fumina for quite a while, but never got around to it.
We saw some very pretty country.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
As discussed over lunch...

Here's a quick map of where we came "out of the bush" on Mt. Beenak Rd. and turned onto the tarseal of the Yarra Junction-Noojee Rd. with its new 80kmh speed limit between Gladysdale + Powelltown. https://goo.gl/maps/wLoQbGmwJpS2

I saw the small SUV about 7-8m off the road parked in the grass on the left, the thing "smelled" of a camera-car but I didn't turn around to check for the usual flash-bang stuff hanging off the front, as the position in the grass and that far off the road wouldn't make any sense for a legal position to take happy snaps.

Going by memory alone, the camera car was about 1km or so up the road from where we joined the asphalt. There was NO speed advisory sign at all until the old 80kmh zone + sign just west of the Learmouth Creek Rd. junction outside Powelltown ....about another 5km further east of the camera-car (I checked again on the return leg).
Coming out of the State forest and not aware of the recent changes with no signs around to advertise the fact, it was safe to assume the previous 100kmh limit still applied.

If anyone is getting a ticket in the mail, please post up here BEFORE PAYING anything....
I'll most certainly contest any fines and will set up a copy+paste objection.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I also had a great day out out. Thanks Steve for stirring this up with his excellent ride report.

Can only second that...enjoyed myself immensely :woot: ....and a big wave across to Steve for checking it all out.:so
Another +1 to his comments about the drop of Simpson Rd. becoming a slip/slop/crash affair after rains...while not an issue yesterday apart from a couple of small spots, any more rain than we had recently would make things impassable....and also add some curry to the little river crossing at the bottom, I imagine.

First things first, though...the little tootle around Yellingbo and Kurth Kiln, a "no-thru-road" that DOES go through (and seems to lead through "Hobbits-Land", it's so damn cute), a traffic-free run through the Powelltown-twisties and a southern bypass-loop around Noojee got us to the start of the unsigned
Vesper Lane/track/road?
I'd never go in there just looking at it.... but knowing it does go through and finally leading to farming roads and a damn-pretty little pocket of rural paddocks I could be tempted again one day.
Once I finally unhooked the last blackberry branches from boots/pants and jacket :bs
Don't leave your visor open...you'll get a bloody nose!

One of the few stretches where you actually could get off the bike and not be swallowed by bush, ferns and other "greens".

Fumina_01.JPG

A little further

Fumina_03.JPG

Fumina_04.JPG

No shit, Sherlock!!

Fumina_05.JPG

Yeah, there IS a track in there...somewhere.

Fumina_06.JPG

Breakthrough

Fumina_07.JPG

Getting there...

Fumina_08.JPG

Fumina_09.JPG

Tall gums all along the way

Fumina_010.JPG

The old Fumina Schoolhouse...nice to see the locals are looking after the place, trees trimmed, grass cut, and the glimpses across the farms into the distant hills make you stop. :glu

Fumina_011.JPG

Fumina_012.JPG

Fumina_013.JPG

"Dry Road Only"

Fumina_015.JPG

Fumina_014.JPG

A short glimpse of Derek in the bushes...:thumbs:

Fumina_016.JPG

Life getting you down? Need a break? Take "the Simpson"... :drool:

Fumina_017.JPG

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Top pics Pete and thanks for navigating :chug:.

I saw the small SUV about 7-8m off the road parked in the grass on the left, the thing "smelled" of a camera-car but I didn't turn around to check for the usual flash-bang stuff hanging off the front

I had a quick glance and it looked like something was hanging off its front bumper. I was doing only a touch over 80 and you guys were doing about the same ?

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Top pics Pete and thanks for navigating :chug:.
It was fun!

I had a quick glance and it looked like something was hanging off its front bumper. I was doing only a touch over 80 and you guys were doing about the same ?

No more than 90 tops here, most likely less...but one never knows what those buggers are up to. Private contractors get paid via headhunter-premiums / profit-sharing, so anything's possible.

Top Bottom