Tornanti road yarns...Parts 1+2

motorradrudi

Tour Pro
Re: Tornanti Road Yarns part2

Hello Pete,

what a day!!!:glu:glu:glu

Not only the Umbrail and the Stilfser Joch, but the Mortirolo and Guspessa and then the Bernina - still fantastic.
You know, that the Mortirolo is one of the highlights of the whole alps for me (you've done 4 of the 5!!!) - I love it!!!
The Bernina is still a glem too! And the landscape around - what would you need more?

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Best greatings from good old Germany
Rudi

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Hello Pete,

what a day!!!:glu:glu:glu

Not only the Umbrail and the Stilfser Joch, but the Mortirolo and Guspessa and then the Bernina - still fantastic.
You know, that the Mortirolo is one of the highlights of the whole alps for me (you've done 4 of the 5!!!) - I love it!!!
The Bernina is still a glem too! And the landscape around - what would you need more?

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Best greatings from good old Germany
Rudi
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Maaate....it was a HUMDINGER of a day !!!
AWESOME !!

Thinking about it now, looking at the pics...still shaking my head :chug:
Life doesn't get better than that....

art_tas

Getting the hang of it

:lol:
Just a lazy 6000 pics to go huh:rolleyes:. Thats a lot of memory cards Pete. Amasing photo's. That is a trip of a lifetime, fantastic stuff. Most spectacuar ride and pics I have seen in ages, :gluInspirational stuff:clap:
The structure you ask about-in the 1st page I think it is?- I seem to recall they are ventalation shafts for the giant extractor fans, in the avalanche tunnels and road tunnels that riddle the alps. I recall similar structures in Austria, and asking the locals the same thing. They would just be in the middle of nowhere and look like a secret military concrete bunker or installation.

Yes, I took that pic as it's the entrance to Switz via the St Bernard tunnel. There are also some pics of the exit on the Swiss side. I almost missed the entrance to the balcony on the desent as it appeared to be another tunnel! I had hung back to get variuos shots on the Swiss side, which after the climb via the origianl "pass" road turned out to be an anti climax - if you could have one in those parts - Sheesh I'd go back there in a whiff:drool:
Hey Pete....stop writing it like this!! I'm getting home sick for Northern Austria now:endu and those climbs with the snow etching the tar tornantis - Bring it back!!!

art_tas

Getting the hang of it
Re: On the Road...day19

Back down the old road, joining the valley just before the Swiss border control (and since Switzerland is NOT part of the EU, there ARE controls…
Being the first of the bunch I come around a lefthander into a treed area, just after overtaking a line of cars and a bus…and some uniform on the little carpark on the right sticks out his red-blinking soup-ladle…pull over, son!!
Arrggghhh…SHIT !!!:eek::eek::eek:

Ok, things weren’t 100% clean on my part :rolleyes: and some speed was needed to “make it” before the next bend:whistle:…you know, how it goes…squirt-screech-push and shove a little…squirt-screech…push-shove…

“You got anything to declare?”
WOT??? :looney:A declaration of….wot...Independence? :doh:
Explain WHY I had to overtake that bus the way it turned out???:whistle:….yeah, yeah,’twas a bit tight there for a moment but the GS wouldn’t go over anymore without going for a skate…
“ What did you buy in Samnaun?” Ciggies? Grog?
That grin comes right from deep below….Customs !!
“Well guys, go bonkers on the panniers”
NOTHING to declare!!
….or….didn’t Tim and Goodie shove the 2 bottles of Schnapps into my topbox as it was the most empty one at the time??
Hmmm…..

Whatever…I rather pay those duties than what I would’ve faced if those guys would’ve been the ”track marshals”….:oops::oops:
Hitting the main road in the valley, the bunch stands there, waits….and GRINS !!
Arseholes!!:upyrs::upyrs:
Yeah I thought you were a gonna, coming around that bend and seeing the uniforms, green van (very good camo) and.....1 GS12 with a white helmet...aghhhh shite it's Pete and he taken the wrap for all of us playing bumper bikes on the descent with the 2 door Mercs, 4 door beemers and Porsches (all with full tanks of cheap petrol, Cigars on the dashboard by the carton and boxes of Scotch, boots so full you could see the lids distorting....and they pull over an Aussie with socks in his top box that would curdle a 10 yr old Haggis?? Go figure:bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Re: On the Road...day19

....and they pull over an Aussie with socks in his top box that would curdle a 10 yr old Haggis?? Go figure:bs

Tell ya...they certainly weren't impressed. Most probably packed up for the day (or a week of sick-leave) after that :bs:bs

J

julian

Re: Tornanti road yarns...EuroAlps in OverDrive

Hi there.... "Anonymous viewer" !!
:gday:Well yes I do keep coming back as it's a fantastic trip, photos and write up. I've only got a postie bike so I can only dream of the adventure.
thanks
Julian :)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Re: Tornanti road yarns...EuroAlps in OverDrive

Hi there.... "Anonymous viewer" !!
:gday:Well yes I do keep coming back as it's a fantastic trip, photos and write up. I've only got a postie bike so I can only dream of the adventure.
thanks
Julian :)

Hi mate
Goodonya for posting up !!
postie-adventure = dream only?????
:bs:bs:bs

Then look at THIS:

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166

And there's an even bigger one coming
The Posties-to-the-Cape Trifecta

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363&highlight=posties

This one IS GOING AHEAD, despite some folks dropping out.
Some flight tickets are already booked, money spent...
pack yer gear buddy :bs:so:so

Top Bottom