Welcome to Boring, Oregon.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Was hoping to run into Crater lake national park from the north, but the roads were still closed from the winter so we had to run further south and then double back to the southern entrance but Crater Lake was definitely worth the extra 50km.

:drool::drool: Is it ever!!
The size and the setting of that place is just incredible...and that's without actually getting into the surrounding park and peaks, lakes and streams.

And to see it with all the whitecaps around it :bow:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Nice story and pics so far .......
:clap:

...... The Tahoe Mountain Passion Pale Ale was the pick of the bunch, a passionfruit infused pale ale. I will be keeping a keen eye out for this one in Melbourne.

Not sure about this one though. How many pints does it take to be convinced?
:scull:

nev

Super Térrarist
:drool::drool: Is it ever!!
The size and the setting of that place is just incredible...and that's without actually getting into the surrounding park and peaks, lakes and streams.

And to see it with all the whitecaps around it :bow:

On the flight from LA to Portland two days earlier we flew over it and the pilot had pointed it out. I'm sure Jo has a photo from the air. It looked even more spectacular than from the ground.

Alturas to Tahoe City.

We doubled back this morning about 30 miles to rejoin our intended route. Apparently I killed a squirrel which was running across the road. Through Oregon and California there were always squirrels to be seen darting across the road. At some point when I was programming the days route into the GPS the previous night I thought I had got the route to Tahoe City right, which it was on the computer, but when I transferred the route to the GPS, the GPS decided on what it thought was a more suitable route, and I didn't actually notice that we'd missed the road I was expecting to take for several days. I had intended to head through the Lassen Volcanic National Park, but I followed the GPS instructions on a less exciting route to the same waypoint further on. It didn't click because the signposting was for the Lassen National Forest, which at the time I didn't realise was not the same place, just nearby.

Views of Lassen Peak
IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Passed through a small town where every shop on the main street was it's own individual cabin

IMG_2158.JPG

more glorious sun

IMG_2162.JPG

Continued further south to Tahoe City. A nice spot beside Lake Tahoe.

PANO_20150511_171919.jpg

The motel I had chosen was right next to the Tahoe Mountain Brewery and I gave their menu of craft beers a good workout. Craft beers from microbreweries in the USA just about everywere we went ranged from $4-$6 for a pint. In fact, just about every restaurant we ate at offered a good range of locally brewed beers on tap. Only once on the whole trip was the choice of beer limited to "Miller, Bud or Coors". The Tahoe Mountain Passion Pale Ale was the pick of the bunch, a passionfruit infused pale ale. I will be keeping a keen eye out for this one in Melbourne.

IMG_20150511_185617.jpg

Next to the lake we found a BBQ restaurant where we pigged out on pulled pork, ribs, slow cooked brisket and the usual coleslaw and mac & cheese side dishes.

nev

Super Térrarist
After breakfast in Tahoe city we headed off south again, first skirting the west bank of Lake Tahoe.

IMG_2165.JPG

Although it was clear, it was crisp and cold. The higher we got, the cooler and windier it got. The Lake level of Lake Tahoe is over 6000ft above sea level. The road took us over Kit Carson pass which is about 8500' ASL. It was blowing a gale up there and the thermometer was just managing to stay over 0°C, but only just.

IMG_2178.JPG

After a few backroad excursions we hit Hwy 49 southbound at lunchtime. Found a CT110 parked at the Taco shop.

IMG_2187.JPG

California is in the middle of a drought, and as well as the grass being brown at the start of summer, water in this reservoir was very low.

PANO_20150512_141045.jpg

In an article someone posted online, Casey Stoner had ranked Hwy 49 california as his favourite road to drive in the world. It wasn't too bad, snaking its way through valleys.

IMG_2195.JPG

In Mariposa there were old gold mining exhibits. This was a stamping machine from the 1850s gold rush.

IMG_20150512_172028.jpg

Can't argue with beer served in frosty goblets at the local restaurant.

IMG_20150512_185909.jpg

jo

I'm a wimp!
Crater Lake from the sky
ql-OPy-6_OAsS-urnF2lOF7iCS2HNyoZuHPdA4915gk=w2405-h2026-no

The ride through Crater Lake road was pretty good..
IbDNFBew-Iz1z5wIn6nh_ZEAcWpikPj2S3m_nH-WyU8=w2048-h1536-no

and the view did not disappoint
pX5p39Dskm64Oi8xyPtYhPtPRP_yhneKE-Mm52Atwq8=w2048-h1152-no

The next 'super model'
oaUm95YRC9x_e_4VdK1wxeSRoxv1NlRrMbTxQlE96tU=w2048-h1152-no

There were still enough snow for snow boarders at Mt Hood.
fIvU8sUud6sOkiVGwilB6pwKn6sOHRXWuFwhdgykntE=w1520-h2026-no

a86

Getting the hang of it
I think I remember reading that Boring had a sister city relationship with Dull in Scotland.

nev

Super Térrarist
We stayed in Mariposa two nights. The reason for stopping here was for the $6 bus service to Yosemite NP. The bus trip was about 90 minutes.

PANO_20150513_113909.jpg

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_20150513_120904.jpg

IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

PANO_20150513_142307.jpg

IMG_2291.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
After Yosemite, the plan was to ride over Tioga pass and into Nevada. Tioga Pass is the highest road in California, 10,000ft asl. The road had opened after winter about a week earlier.

After a magnificently sunny day at Yosemite, the forecast for the following day was for rain in the hills, and 1-3 inches of snow at the pass. All other passes north of Yosemite were also forecasting snow or rain, so the best option was to the south. This meant riding 500km south to the I-15 interstate and running through Las Vegas to get to Utah.

The morning we managed to dodge the bit of rain that was about, but caught some wet roads through Fresno. Didn't stop and take many photos for the day. During the day the headset in Jo's helmet started to play up and became unusable. Might just be that she is sick of listening to me talking to her while she's riding. When we stopped for lunch I tried ringing a few dealers listed as Autocom dealers in USA, but the 2 or 3 that I rang had all stopped stocking Autocom products.

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_20150514_165812.jpg

Spent the night in Ridgecrest, which is on the southern edge of Death Valley.

For tea we went to a diner. Jo ordered the vegetables on rice. The serving was quite typical of huge american servings. It's not unusal to see every second person leaving a restaurant with a takeaway container of leftovers.

IMG_20150514_185553.jpg

Top Bottom